Tuesday 19 March 2013

App Coolness

Now, if you're anything like me, you love technology. I love all the new gadgets that come with new phones, glasses that record video, etc. I always thought "what else can they do?" and I get surprised every time. Over the weekend, I discovered a really cool (and free) app called Internet Map (by peer 1 hosting). This app is all about the internet itself, and on initial startup it shows a globe, and for every internet connection on the planet, there is a coloured dot.

This is absolutely amazing, seeing as I can click on any one of those dots and see where they connect to in the world. We can see what countries are the most active on the internet, and the colourful little clusters show this visually. You can also search individual connections, such as "Conestoga College", and i'll get a little dot showing all the connections.




There is also an alternate view, called "Network view", where it breaks up the connections from most prominent to the individual people on their computers. On top of all this, you can see the density of the internet connections change under the History section. Milestones in history like the launches of Wikipedia, YouTube, Facebook, etc. show the multitude of little dots grow exponentially.
In short, this app is very cool, and I recommend you get it.

Images from google












No comments:

Post a Comment