Wednesday 17 October 2012

It Won't Sink the Titanic but...

For one of our first projects in my graphic design class, we were assigned a logo project. Find or make up a restaurant name, and design a logo for that restaurant. Now, logos aren't exactly my thing. Finding that visual figure ground, clever visual was never something I could wrap my head around. That being said, I decided to find a literal sounding name to represent.

It was then I came cross the Icebergs restaurant. Nice enough place, with a horrendous logo. Perfect. I started on concepts, when I realized there was an extreme lack of correlation in the aspects of my design.

A) This place was called Icebergs. What did they serve? If you guessed traditional Italian, you're insane, but right.
B) This restaurant is in Sydney, Australia. Yeah.

This was possible the weirdest set of parameters for designing a restaurant logo. However, after 1000 pages of concepts (exaggeration, I'm lazy) I came up with this.




And then I made these.
Overall, though it was frustrating, I realized that sometimes the original concept is the best/easiest to go with. Trying to communicate too many messages at once is both foolish and impossible. So basically, I learned to keep it simple...stupid.

No comments:

Post a Comment